photo home_zpsf660307b.jpg            photo follow_zpsf3eeb6e5.jpg         photo tutes_zps2632b987.jpg         photo galleries_zpsbe72ef9d.jpg

4.08.2010

So You Think You Can Quilt- Month 2

Quilt #1- Eat it, Fork it, Grab it, Halve it (Jennilyn)



40.5" x 51.5" top
machine applique, fabric paints, fabric pens, vintage Old King Cole fabric
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quilt #2- Vintage 1947 (Sheryl)

(Front)


(Back)



When the first sentence in a vintage quilt pattern reads "Cut 144 pieces each of Fabrics A, B, C & D…" my eyes glaze over and I start to think about what dinner would go well with the wine I am drinking. And then it hits me. Go with what you know, and I know wine! The ultimate vintage? A 1947 Chateau Cheval Blanc. Cheers!


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Quilt #3- Atomic Cowboy (Eve)




My inspiration for "Vintage" was Bobby Brady mixed with Mike Teavee. In real life, I made it for my newest nephew-to-be. I picture my sister rocking her little sweaty haired cowboy to bed snuggled up in his half hex quilt. I can't wait to see it happen in real life.


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Quilt #4- Grandma's Patchwork (Lisa C.)




. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Quilt #5- My Grandmother's Old Lace (Lisa S.)




It is a 35x35 Crazy Quilt (my first attempt at such a thing) wall hanging made from a modge podge of antique stuff. Batiste is the foundation fabric (I now know to never do that again) and topped with table linens, handkerchiefs, pillow shams/cases, furniture coverings, window shears/drapes, blouses, slips, etc. But last but not least it is also made from not one, but two family wedding gowns! That was my favorite part, but also the most painful to cut up. It is embellished with laces, buttons, pearls and each piece is decorative stitched in a soft gold thread. The picture in the center is a photo on photo fabric of my great grandmother at the approximate age of 18 (circa 1920). The lace around the picture is the lace detail from one of the wedding veils, the lace overlays on the center block behind the photo are both from the dresses, as are the lacey embellishments and there are pieces of the dresses spread throughout the quilt. I will be making another of these to be donated and auctioned off for our (huge) family reunion,
which is such an honor!



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



Quilt #6- Get to the Point (Amy)




For the vintage theme quilt I dug out five fat quarters that have been waiting in my stash for a few years. When I bought the fabric I liked the vintage look of the pattern, but didn't have a plan for it (story of my life). When the vintage theme was announced, I decided to try my hand at the flying geese pattern. I used the No Waste Flying Geese Method (http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf) of piecing since I didn't have much fabric to work with. The binding is also cut from the same fat quarters, so there was very little of that fabric remaining. The finished quilt is approximately 36" x 36".


. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Quilt #7- Friendship Garden (Melissa)





This quilt is called Friendship Garden. I designed it to fit the vintage theme by using two vintage blocks popular in the 1930s, the Friendship Block and Grandmother's Flower Garden. I wanted it to be a little different, so I used three of my current favorite fabric lines: Dolce by Tanya Whelan, Love by Amy Butler, Plume by Tula Pink and a little bit of Jennifer Paganelli. To give vintage a modern twist, I used gray to tie it all together. This also represents the first time I have ever done the actual quilting, but am happy with the varigated thread I chose, with shades of purple, pink and blue. When I finished, I felt like it needed a little movement and dimension, so I made four flowers and placed them to look as if they were tumbling down the quilt. The finished size is approximately 40 inches by 48 inches.



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now go vote for your favorite on the left side bar.

Good luck choosing just one!

Then come back and add your link for your 'Vintage' quilt.

Can't wait to see what you have made!



No comments: