photo home_zpsf660307b.jpg            photo follow_zpsf3eeb6e5.jpg         photo tutes_zps2632b987.jpg         photo galleries_zpsbe72ef9d.jpg

7.27.2010

S4S- Extra-Curricular Activities, Part 2

With all those sports coming up in the fall, how do you keep your girlies hair out of their eyes, while still looking their best?



Here is my solution:









The Do-Rag Sports Headband




It stays in place, keeps hair out of eyes, is one of the most comfy headbands ever, is totally adorable, and it is even reversible!






Doesn't get much better than that. . .




Here's how to make your own:




Supplies needed:

1/4 yard of two different cotton fabrics (or larger scraps work perfect, too)

about 8 inches of 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch elastic



For Mama size: Cut 1 piece of each fabric that measures 13" by 8" and 1 piece of each fabric that measures 1.5" by 12 ". Cut the elastic 8".

For Girlie size: Cut 1 piece of each fabric that measuring 12" by 6 " and 1 piece of each fabric that measures 1.5" by 9". Cut the elastic 6".

For Lil Bitty size***: Cut 1 piece of each fabric measuring 11" by 5" and 1 piece of each fabric measuring 1.5" by 9". Cut the elastic 6".



*** Note: You will need to decide what is safe for your little one. For my two year old I feel that this headband is perfectly fine, but it will depend on your child!



Sew the larger pieces together along both of the long sides, with wrong sides together. Turn right side out and topstitch along both sides.




Sew the smaller pieces together along both of the long sides, with wrong sides together. Turn right side out.







Take your large piece and hand-gather one end so that it measures about 1 inch when it is all gathered together.



Baste your gathers close to the raw edge. Repeat for the other side.








Place the elastic piece on top of the gathers, with about 1/3 of an inch over the gathers. Stitch in place. Go over the seam several times so that it will not pull out when stretched.








Now take your smaller fabric piece and thread the elastic through it, so that one end of the casing covers the bottom end of your gathers. You will also want to tuck the end of the casing in about 1/4 of an inch so that the raw edge does not show. Once you get your casing in place, so that it covers the elastic and the raw edge of the gathers, stitch it into place.






Pull the un-attached end of your elastic all the way through the other end of the casing and attach to the other gathered end in the same way as above.




Pull the casing over the gathers on the second side, just as before and stitch into place.












These are so fun and easy, you might just want to make one for the whole team!


Or maybe, just one for you!







PS This also works great for those days you wake up late. Throw the headband on and done!

24 comments:

Cold Oatmeal and Purple Cows said...

This is perfect! My neighbor was just asking about these. Now we can take the girls to the fabric store and go nuts! Thanks!

Christie // lemon squeezy home said...

I love these! I'll be bookmarking it for sure!

Tringali Family said...

Super cute!

Emily said...

So glad you included measurements for the Mommy version. I need some for myself!

felicia said...

I just had to make a headband for my SON! I know, boys shouldn't wear headbands but he plays hockey and he has longish hair and it was always getting trapped in his mask and he couldn't see. These girl ones are much cuter though!

Maya Kuzman said...

I love this!

Anne said...

What a cute headband!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-do-rag-sports-headband-for-girls/2010/07/28/

--Anne

Knit Purl Gurl said...

Cute & functional - Luv it!!

Brooke said...

Sooo cute! I love the mommy one you are wearing!! Thanks for the tutorial... as usual, you are the best!

xoxo

Melissa said...

My daughter is at soccer camp this week and I made the shoulder straps from velcro that all the kids seem to have from the stores. It's much cheaper this way. She's asking me to dress them up alittle with soccer ribbon sewn over the top of the velcro...easy peasy. Check it out or link me to your site, happy to add to the extra activities posts.

christina said...

Im so do rag obsessed, why havent I thought to make these before? Thank you so much for the tute and the idea!

said...

This is perfect! I have horrible new hair growth from losing so much after having my baby. It's starting to curl back over my headbands. I will be making a bunch of these to wear on my upcoming vacation to hide all the ends! Thanks for being clever!!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

This is great too! I will feature this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Tanya said...

So cute! And easy! I only have boys at home, but I made one for me (and linked to you). Thanks for the tutorial.

http://sewmanydreams.blogspot.com/2010/08/summer-top.html

Kayla said...

I love this! My daughter has baby fine hair, and with a car with no air conditioning,her hair gets extremely unmanageable at times! I made one last night, and today she's off to the lake with my grandparents to go out on the boat. She was so excited when I gave her the new "hat" this morning!

Here's a link to pictures:
http://flic.kr/p/8pXvMV

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28920761@N08/4866226216/in/photostream

Bettina Groh said...

I'm gonna keep that hair right out of her face!! My granddaughter's going to get a couple of these!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Just came over from the Sew Mama Sew blog and now made two headbands - one for my granddaughter and one for my great niece out of Holiday Happy Gnomes. They turned out so cute. Thanks!!

happy zombie said...

I just came over form Mary on Lake Pulaski's flickr from the one she made. Sooo adorable!!

Paula said...

Thanks for the pattern! I had no idea how to sew but I bought one of these in Cancun and wanted to try to make a few more. I combined your steps with how mine looked like it was made and came up with one. Thanks!
http://millieandreed.blogspot.com/2010/12/i-can-sew.html

Charmaine said...

Thanks for the tutorial - I made one for my daughter last night and she loves it!

http:/www.licklepickle.blogspot.com

stefanie cunnington said...

Cute! I'm using this pattern to try out my new sewing machine:-)
Stefanie

SarahJane said...

Awesome! Thankyou! My daughter just started football and I have looked at a hundred sites trying to find something functional yet cute. Thanks so much

Dieni said...

I broke my needle trying to sew the short piece over the gather + elastic! This is the first time it's broken into 3parts. :((( Haha oh well... i think I should use a narrower elastic (used my 3/4 elastic on this -_- ), or maybe i can try having wider piece of fabric for the connector. Now trying to hand-sew it instead.
Can't wait, bcoz I have a matching pair for me & daughter ready to attach the elastic & the short pieces only! Wish me the best! ;))) Ah but I DO love ur tutorial. Thank u very much ;D

cadie said...

I like making these--I've made a few! Your measurements are helpful. I was wondering, for a 12 year old girl (who is on the small side) would a Children's size or Adult size be more likely to fit?