photo home_zpsf660307b.jpg            photo follow_zpsf3eeb6e5.jpg         photo tutes_zps2632b987.jpg         photo galleries_zpsbe72ef9d.jpg

5.08.2010

The Shelby Dress

This post is part of a month long series called 'Pattern Makeover Month.' I took a simple pattern (The Sweet Dress by Leila and Ben) and 'made-it-over' into many different styles. For more information, go here.



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .



There are some crazy cute throw pillows out there-- but what to do with throw pillows? When you have kids, they just end up on the floor all the time. Hubby is definitely not a fan.
So why not take the idea and turn it into a dress?

The idea for this dress started with this cute tutorial. And became this:



Now, I am sure you are wondering where the tutorial is. This little dress was a challenge to put together and truthfully, the thought of making another one in order to explain how to make it just about put me into tears. So, if any of you come up with an explainable way to put this dress together-- props to you! ;0) As for me, I am throwing in the towel.






Sumo Sweet Stuff

17 comments:

Jamie said...

Beautiful! But it does look like a lot of work!

Unknown said...

It is adorable! I love the ruffles with the bright yellow.

Jenny said...

love the ruffles, the yellow, the whole thing...now getting my daughter to wear something like this is a different story!!

Unknown said...

I can see were doing a tutorial would be difficult... sure is cute though!
thundercloudgirl{at}hotmail{dot}com

Lexie@BookBug said...

OK, Leis . . . you gotta tell me how you get the shadows and cool looks to those photos? Do you have a program or do you just take really good pix?

Heather said...

So adorable, I just love it! And it does look like you spent a lot of time making it, but the finished dress looks like it's more than worth it!

Unknown said...

LOVE IT!!!!!

Natalie said...

It is such a pretty dress! It is hard to explain things, especially ones that are a ton of work and steps like this!

Lacey said...

So pretty! It's made from a throw pillow?!!! You are like a creative goddess!!!

Lisa said...

You're so funny! I think a tutorial for this dress would be crazy hard!!

Angela C. said...

Love the bright yellow!

accoupons at gmail dot com

Niina K said...

Such a beautiful dress!! I love the yellow colour and the white "stripes" so girly girl dress!!

Anonymous said...

I love that it became THIS!

~L~ said...

very cute dress and nice pictures!
I'd love to have this linked to my weekly link party "Make my Style Mondays"

www.avidaccents.blogspot.com

Ange Moore said...

Very cute! I can't believe you've done tutorials for all the other dresses here - and I'm happy to just look at this gorgeous yellow number!!

~L~ said...

Thanks for linking this to Make My Style Mondays.
Im featuring this DIY in my link party wrap up today. Come on over and grab a button.

www.avidaccents.blogspot.com

~L~

Karen G. said...

I am just now looking through all of your adorable versions of "The Sweet Dress"--amazing! This dress does look like it was a lot of work! Is there any way you could do just a general explanation, without pictures? Like, how much fabric you used, is the body all one piece and just gathered in places like the tutorial you linked to or is it in strips? It really did turn out super cute and I love ruffles in just about any version! Thanks for all the tutorials!
kgdive[at]kc[dot]rr[dot]com