photo home_zpsf660307b.jpg            photo follow_zpsf3eeb6e5.jpg         photo tutes_zps2632b987.jpg         photo galleries_zpsbe72ef9d.jpg

4.26.2010

The Juno Dress

This post is part of a month long series called 'Pattern Makeover Month.' I took a simple pattern (The Sweet Dress by Leila and Ben) and 'made-it-over' into many different styles. For more information, go here.



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .








Of course I couldn't do this Pattern Makeover Month without doing a few refashions,
now could I?




This version is made using an upcycled men's sweater. It is best to use a thin sweater, as the thicker the sweater, the harder it will be to make your neck and sleeve casings.



Using the main body of the sweater, cut your dress pieces.






One of the best parts of using a sweater is, there is no need to make a hem as you can use the finished bottom as your hemline. To do this, do not cut the curved line of the pattern, instead line up the bottom of the sweater with the length you want your dress, then connect your side seam down to the bottom of the sweater.









For the sleeves, cut apart the original sleeves on the seams. Spread them out and find a place that is wide enough for the sleeves of your dress.








Finish the dress as directed.



Perfect for those cool, spring months.






22 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! I love it even more that you used an old sweater! The colors are adorable.

seegfam said...

I love you up used that sweater! absolutely awesome!

Peggy said...

Wow, I love this dress! Okay so this is the same pattern you have been featuring all month, right? As of right now I have 8 little girls to make this dress for but am unsure of their sizes. No,none of them are mine, ha ha!! I have all boys but we have missionary friends whose girls only wear dresses. I love the different combinations you have made from one pattern! And your models are absolutely darling!!

Keep up the good work!!

Lisa said...

I'm loving all your posts with the same pattern!! I think this one and the one with the sleeves are my favorites :)

Jamie said...

ooh super cute! I'm sad I got rid of all my husbands sweaters. Of course none of them were pink, so my 3 yr old woudnt have worn them anyway...

Jess said...

wow, I love every redo of this patters, and the sweater idea, so fun!

Angela C. said...

very cute! I love her boots with it!

Jenny said...

what a great makeover, lots of unworn adult clothes around here!

Bec said...

Oh my am I loving these dresses!! So cute and simple!!
As a mom of 3 little girls, altering the same dress is AWESOME and easy for me!! Love it!!

Lacey said...

Oh my goodness, each new one becomes my favorite!
Too too cute and I love the colors! You don't find those kind of colors very often for little girls.

Mandy Beyeler said...

I LOVE refashions! mandybeez at gmail

Emily said...

The sweater pattern is very mod and makes for a fun dress!

Lynette said...

Ooh...i love this one too!

Heather said...

I love this idea! It looks so cute!

MA said...

This is great, my husband just cleaned out his closet - can't wait to give it a try! Thanks!

Sew Can Do said...

So fab! I love making & modifying patterns - it always seems easier to make things with them! Thanks for linking up to Craftastic Monday!

Natalie said...

Oh I just love this one!

Ange Moore said...

I loev this dress and it looks so cute with tights and boots!

leigh7911 said...

Love it! I wonder if my husband has any clue the danger his side of the closet faces...

What I read said...

I love using my old sweaters to make clothes for my kids especially the merino wool sweaters and cashmere ones.

Kira Thunell said...

OMGoodness! I love the refashion idea. This dress is way cute! K I need to get me a sewing machine. And I likey likey your site Leisel - you're my hero ;)

Anonymous said...

i love the idea of using Papa's clothes for our sweet pumpkin!